Modified on: Tue, 26 Aug, 2014 at 9:30 AM
You can set notification preferences to receive updates about your Canvas courses. These steps apply for all users.
(Embedded video at the bottom of this page)
Open Personal Settings
In the Help Corner, click the Settings link.
Within your personal settings, you can:
- Add ways for your fellow classmates to contact you
- Link to web services
- View and set notifications preferences
- View approved integrations
Before you can set your Notification Preferences, you will need to set the ways you want to be notified.
Your account will already display the email associated with your account. However, if you want to add an additional email address, click the Add Email Address link .
If you want to add any other type of contact method such as Twitter or text messages, click the Add Contact Method .
Canvas will ask to verify your additional contact methods. Once they have been verified, a checkmark will appear next to the method type . You can delete additional contact methods at any time by clicking the trash icon .
Link to Web Services
The Web Services portion on your settings page is divided into two columns. Services you have already registered, such as through the Ways to Contact section of your settings, or through course Collaborations and assignments, appear in the left column under the Registered Servicesheading .
Other services that are available for registration appear in the right column under the Other Services heading . Register for any of these other services by clicking one of the [ServiceName] buttons . Once you have registered for that service properly, the service name will move from the right column to the left column. Repeat this process to add additional services.
View Notification Preferences
You can view and set notification preferences within your course. In the navigation menu, click the Notifications link.
View Notification Preferences
Your notifications preference page will display all of the contact methods you have created across the top of the page. You will need to specify how you want to be notified for each contact method.
The notifications are divided up into six categories:
- Course Activities
View Notification Descriptions
When you hover over the name of the notification, you can view the details of the notification and adjust your preferences. Note: Some notifications are for instructors and admins only as noted in the hover descriptions:
- Due Date: Assignment due date change
- Grading Policies: Course grading policy change
- Course Content: Change to course content including WikiPage, Assignment, and Quiz content
- Files: New file added to your course. Canvas will only notify you of new files in a course once they have been updated.
- Announcement: New announcement in your course
- Grading: Includes assignments/submission grade entered/changed, unmuted assignment grade, grade weight changed. Check Include scores when alerting about grade changes checkbox if you want to see your grades in your notifications. If you aren't using your institutional email address, be aware that sensitive information will be sent outside the institution.
- Invitation: Includes invitations to web conferences, collaborations, groups, course, peer review and peer review reminders
- All Submissions (Instructor & Admin only): Assignment submission/resubmission
- Late Grading (Instructor & Admin only): Late assignment submission
- Submission Comment: Assignment submission comment.
- Discussion: New discussion topic in your course
- Discussion Post: New discussion post in a topic you're subscribed to
- Added to Conversation: You are added to a conversation
- Conversation Message: New Inbox message
- Student Appointment Signups (Instructor & Admin only): Student appointment signup using Scheduler
- Appointment Signups: New appointment on your calendar
- Student Appointment Cancelations: Appointment cancelation
- Appointment Availability (Instructor & Admin only): Change to appointment time slots
- Calendar: New and changed items on your course calendar
- Group Membership Updates: Group enrollment, accepted/rejected membership; (Admin only) pending enrollment activated
- Administrative Notifications (Instructor & Admin only): includes course enrollment, report generated, context export, migration export, new account user, new teacher registration, new student group
View Set Notification Preferences
For email whitelist purposes, notifications will be sent from an email address ending in instructure.com.
By default, your notifications will be set as follows:
- Due Date: Emailed weekly
- Grading Policy changes: Emailed weekly
- Course Content: Emailed never
- Files: Emailed never
- Announcements: Emailed right away
- Grading notifications: Emailed right away
- New Invitations: Emailed right away
- All Submissions: Emailed never
- Late Grading: Emailed daily
- Submission Comments: Emailed daily
- Discussion: Emailed daily
- Discussion Post: Emailed never
- Added to Conversation: Emailed right away
- Conversation Messages: Emailed right away
- Student Appointment Signups: Emailed never
- Appointment Signups: Emailed right away
- Appointment Cancelations: Emailed right away
- Appointment Availability: Emailed right away
- Calendar changes: Emailed never
- Membership Update: Emailed daily
- Administrative Notifications: Emailed daily
View Weekly Notification Time
At the bottom of the page, Canvas will let you know when you can expect to receive each notification. The date and time will vary between users.
Edit Notification Preferences
To change a notification for a contact method, hover over the notification type you want to change. Select one of four options.
- Select the Checkmark icon to be notified immediately of any change for the activity.
- Select the Clock icon to be notified daily of any change for the activity.
- Select the Calendar icon to be notified weekly of any change for the activity.
- Select the X icon to remove the notification preference so you won't be notified of any change for the activity.
Note: Each set notification preference will apply to all of your courses. They cannot be set individually.
Did you find it helpful?
Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.