Parents can sign up as an observer in Canvas. Observers can link their Canvas account to their student's account so they can see assignment dues dates, announcements, and other course content. Observers can view the course content but cannot participate in the course.
This document is for parents who do not have a Canvas account and want to observe their students in their courses.
If you already have an account from your student's institution, log in to Canvas using the credentials given to you.
- To observe a student, you must have a student pairing code.
- Once you have an account, you may be able to view student information through the Canvas Parent app. If you already have an account from your student's institution as an observer, you can always view student information through the Canvas Parent app.
Open Canvas URL
In a browser window, enter the SCCSD's Canvas registration URL
Click to Register
Click the account link at the top of the page.
Sign Up As a Parent (Free Account)
Click the Parents sign up here link.
Enter Signup Details
Enter the following information:
- Enter your name in the Your Name field.
- Enter your email in the Your Email field.
- Enter your password in the Password field.
- Re-enter your password in the Re-enter Password field.
- Enter a paring code to link your account to your student in the Student Pairing Code field.
- Click the Start Participating button.
Note: Students can generate pairing codes from their User Settings. Depending on institution permissions, admins and instructors may also be able to generate pairing codes.
You can begin observing your student in Canvas immediately.